Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The rest of the story about the Prejudice Church from my daughter

My dad wrote about one of the most difficult times in my family's life. He left out a lot of details for the sake of being concise, like how the church insisted we be homeschooled because we lived in the black school district, "you don't see white birds and black birds flying together," the community split into two townships so that the black side of town and white side of town could have legally segregated schools, my church friend had never heard the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children," walking into the sanctuary to see whispering women stop talking and stare me down like I was the most disgusting thing to walk the Earth after word got out I played with a black boy in the backyard of the church (I bet they would have skinned me alive if they knew Michael and I brought our friends inside the church to get a drink from the water fountain!), the feeling of guilt that I was the reason my dad was in so much trouble... And my family's experience doesn't come close to what blacks in that area and others have to experience throughout their lifetimes! If you're wondering why I have such strong feelings about some current issues, this is a huge reason. There are plenty of things that any grown child thinks their parents could have done differently, but this isn't one of those things. I could not be more proud of my parents for how they handled the issues that confronted us in Southeast Arkansas. I'm so thankful that God allows us to go through difficult trials and redeems those trials for His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment