Monday, July 20, 2015

The Chosen Family: Emma, Our Ugandan Adoption / Part 3

Well, here's my part of the story...

Jacob and I made our flights ok, with the exception of a couple close calls on short layovers.  Oh, yeah, I think we did miss our flight out of Dallas to Tulsa due to customs and such.  We arrived right as they were closing the door.  They would hear nothing of letting us in.  No biggy, but we were tired and wanted to get home to our kiddos.

 Me thinks the booking agent was a comedian!

We finally made it home though.  I had my first experience with lost baggage, but it was eventually recovered.  The kids were excited to see us.  Dawn and my Mom had been taking care of them.  They did awesome, but my kiddos missed their daddy.  Big Sis was greatly appreciated.  She would continue to help out quite a bit over the next 6 weeks as we waited for Kim to return with baby brother.  


Jacob and I each strapped on our aprons and took on the task of House Dads.  I promise you I realize the next few weeks weren't as sacrificing for us as they were for the ladies back in Africa.  But hey, this was new territory for us too.  The kids pitched in and such though.  I was still working full time during the day so it really was tough.  I know,"Waah!"

The girls pitched in and folded clothes.
 
Honestly. These were some of the hardest weeks of my life.  I managed the house stuff ok.  Though I must admit Jacob and I both hired somebody to clean up our mess just before the ladies got home.  It was hard to keep up with the kiddos too.  But those weren't the big deal.  My kids missed their momma and so did I.  We had Christmas without them and everything.  I wanted my family back together.

The kids all got scooters for Christmas but no Mama.

The kids all got their hair fixed for Mom as we prepared for her and Emma's homecoming...




Even dad did a little stylin'

Oh well, I have bored you enough with my days as a house dad.  I survived and it was good for me.  Meanwhile, back in Africa...

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment