Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Chosen Family: It All Began with a Smoking Hot Car

Before I started my fourth year of college (the first of five senior years) I decided that it was time to find my life mate.  I just simply felt I was ready and it was time.

I even made a list of qualifications.    She was to be brown haired, petite, smart, Christian, preferably FWB, and willing to follow me in the ministry.


For several months, I had been casually dating Cindy, a sweet girl that met all those pre-requisites except for maybe the last two.  She was far from Free Will Baptist and I'm not sure what her thoughts were on the ministry.  

A couple days before classes began, some of us upper class-men were helping freshmen girls move into their dorm rooms.  I know....how thoughtful of us.  I confess, I was checking them out!  The pickings looked pretty good too, if I recall correctly.

Before long, something hot really did catch my eye.   An old Plymouth Station Wagon pulled in sputtering and smoking. This appeared to be a distraction from what I was there for, but being the gentleman I am, I offered a hand.



Kim and her mother got out, rather frustrated and embarrassed.   We talked a little then I introduced them to Herbert, a friend with a bit more mechanical knowledge than me.

I didn't see Kim again for a couple weeks I think.  In the mean time, I continued seeing Cindy.

I went to the BSU (Baptist Student Union) Back to School Retreat I think a couple weeks after my original encounter with Kim in the parking lot.  We were in the same small group together.  

My interest was being stoked a little, but I was convinced she was too young.   I mean, after all, I was like three years older than her.  She definitely returned my interest though.

The topic of discussion for our small group that night was what we planned to accomplish in the upcoming school year.  I shared my marital plans.  I am pretty sure this scared the heebbie jeebbies out of Kim.

We did hit it off that night though.  We went for a walk together in the woods and held hands for the first time.  We did not kiss though.  I still had my reservations.

Move forward a week or two.  I had a date set up with Cindy at the BSU for a movie event one night.  I had continued seeing Kim, but I was convinced I was more like a big brother to her, though she most definitely saw it differently.

Well, Kim evidently became tired of my playing games.  She made her move.  She showed up that afternoon at my house and offered to fix supper.  There was no way I was turning down a home cooked meal! 


The problem was she also came  prepared to attend the movie with me. This was like a Brady Bunch episode.  I had two dates show up at the same place at the same time.  

I really liked them both, but one of them wasn't going to be too happy with me after that night.  I was horrified.  I didn't want to hurt either.


I ran to a very wise friend of mine, actually someone that had been in our small group.  I shared my predicament and asked for advice. After a moment of uncontrolled laughter, she replied:

"What did you just recently say you were looking for this year in small group? You asked that we pray that you find the right girl.  You even described what that girl would be like.  In that description you emphasized faith and ministry.  Which one of these two girls did you ask God for?  Which Is most likely to support you in the ministry? Which would you rather spend the rest of your life with?"

I do not know how much I hurt Cindy that night.  I'm not sure she was even that interested in me to begin with.  I do know I made the right decision though.

I chose Kim.  This would prove to be one of the wisest decisions of my life.

Kim was the one that would pray with me on a daily basis as we encountered the daily struggles of the ministry.  She would pack our bags and move with me across three states as we travelled where God led.  It was Kim that would raise my six children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.  

There is so much more to share about our life.  This was only the beginning and I'm not even sure we had kissed yet. It would happen soon though....

No comments:

Post a Comment